63°F

Eel Pout Festival Death A Result of CO Poisoning

Eel Pout Festival Death A Result of CO Poisoning Click to Enlarge

Photo credit: Schooley Family


The Ramsey County Medical Examiner’s Office says that Samuel Schooley, age 21 of Bemidji, died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning on Feb. 25 at the popular Leech Lake ice fishing festival.

Friends said that they found Schooley unresponsive on the top bunk of a fish house. Doctors reportedly told Schooley’s family that the percentage of carbon monoxide in the young man’s system was 58 percent.

Sam’s father, Tom Schooley, told WCCO-Minneapolis that he wants others to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide in fish houses. The house had a detector inside, but it was near the ground and the gas rises. Sam was sleeping in a top bunk. He said Sam’s friends who slept in the lower bunks showed lower levels of carbon monoxide exposure.


Leave a comment