21°F

Man Admits Report Was False

Man Admits Report Was False Click to Enlarge

MAHNOMEN, MN--Authorities in Mahnomen say the 28 year old man who claimed he was jumped and burned by three men while in his garage earlier this week admits he made up the story. The Mahnomen County Sheriff's Office says late Tuesday night, Brian Smith requested to speak to authorities regarding their investigation and admitted that he started the fire in the truck, which was found on the boarder line of Mahnomen and Clearwater counties, in a failed suicide attempt. In a news release Sheriff Doug Krier says Smith is cooperating with authorities and charges may be filed after Smith's mental health and other medical needs are addressed. The Sheriff's Office says a GoFundMe page was set up by family members has been stopped and they are trying to determine how to return the money gathered to the individual owners. If it's not possible to return the money, any remaining funds will be donated to a burn center and earmarked for the support of children with burns.

Leave a comment